Author Topic: Earth temp stable since 1998  (Read 597 times)

S R

• TROC Staff - Tech
    Ladder Champ

HardDrive

• #1 Red Guy
Earth temp stable since 1998
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »
Well, if true, I'm not sure it will entirely shift the paradigm, but it would certainly make a certain inconvenient truth less truthful. I'll be happy when the sensationalism ends (if ever) so sensible policies can be put in place.

Si

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »
People look at climate on too short of a time scale. Climate should be viewed across a geological timescale. 20 years doesn't make much of a difference in a climatic aspect.

Of course there are many short-term cycles that affect climate as well. El nino, sunspot cycles, and different orbital cycles of the Earth. There are many things that affect climate that are simply just out of our hands.

This is the plume from Mount Pinatubo (1991 eruption).  It released enough aerosols into the atmosphere to bring global temperatures down by 0.5 degrees Celsius. You make think 0.5 degrees doesn't seem like a lot but it is. In fact the difference between the medieval warming period or the "little ice age" was less than a 0.5 degrees variation from mean temperatures.

All in all, I wouldn't except to see any major anthropogenic climatic changes in our lifetime, maybe even ever.
Quote from: HardDrive;355842
What happened to the friendly game I used to know

Anti

• http://war.tribesone.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
i just read "An Inconvenient Book"
was good.

Si

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
Books and movies are nice, but I've always thought of them as more a source of entertainment. I would never use it as a source of information, especially when it comes to something scientific.

I watched an inconvenient truth. Absolutely terrible. I don't understand how people go to a politician for their source of information on global warming. I haven't watched the great global warming swindle, which is the opposite of the an inconvenient, but I'm sure it's just as biased.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.