Author Topic: Windows 7 - Resume from hibernation/sleep  (Read 1590 times)

Sunfire

• bvd| capt.
    • Tribes Ascend - sunfire
Windows 7 - Resume from hibernation/sleep
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
My computer has been locking up when I resume from sleep (I typically just put my comp to sleep, done this for years). Lately I get a black screen where I can't do shit except turn off the computer/PSU and reboot. I've read some other forum posts and articles regarding this but I'm wondering if anyone here has a fix that isn't well known or anything useful in general.

Arenas

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
wouldnt hurt to run memtest, isn't all the info stored in the ram when you put it to sleep?
http://www.memtest.org/
"If that\'s how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that is getting smaller and smaller as time moves on."

HardDrive

• #1 Red Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
Also update or change video drivers, check your power settings, etc.

If this change started happening randomly it indicates either some sort of bizarre hardware failure or an automatic update fucked with something, but it is incredibly vague so it could be a simple fix. It could be memory like arenas said although I think you would stress the memory more with normal usage.

LuiGi

• Tribes Ascend - T1LuiGi
    • http://www.b3tsolutions.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
My screen also fails to to wake after sleep sometimes. Iv read its common with my monitor (Dell u2410) but cant be bothered to return it for another really.
Ride it like you stole it!!!!!

Sunfire

• bvd| capt.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
It only happened a couple times. Apparently the problem isn't hardware related, but on Microsoft's end. People have always had a problem with this. One thing that made the most sense to me was to go to the devices section under C:/ or whatever, and on my hard drives make them constantly on/alert, even in sleep mode. When a computer awakens (the sleeper, has, AWAKENED!) different parts come alive at different times, so the system can lag/crash/w/e if one is feeling slow on a given day. Haven't had the problem again since that fix, thx for the replies

Na{Z}MaN

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:30 AM »
ill have to  try that out, I have the same problem
Quote from: Da GaNja;320938
gtfo and go fuck some sand

LuiGi

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »
How do you do this? Will the drives spin down when its alseep?

Sunfire

• bvd| capt.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 05:50:48 PM »
Actually I did have the problem again, and I'm pretty sure I had a bad stick of ram like Arenas suggested. The only sure way to fix this problem is to shut your computer down and just avoid laziness. To keep your hard drive on all the time just right click my comp/C:/ and go to devices, find your HD's, check the box that says keep it running all the time. It isn't hard to find. There's literally so many problems that can go wrong here it's just better to shut down and restart everytime. It'll keep your computer fresh as well.

LuiGi

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
Iv got a ssd coming next week so will do a fresh install of windows and see how it goes. Should boot alot faster so not so much of a problem shutting down completely.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.